Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mariapocs to Heves? Eger, Szolnok and Ujszasz...Never go into Detk!

My school days were very short this week...I am really happy I finally got a schedule...met some of the older kids who I may be teaching at a later point this year, not sure yet.

Since I was going to the Szolnok Goulash festival on Saturday, I asked if I could have friday off which was fine with Ili...So i made plans to leave Mariapocs around noon in order to be in Heves by 5 on Thursday...but Ili called me on Wednesday night and said that I was going into Nyiregyhaza with Szsanyi and Tibor in order to register, get a tax number and whatever else I needed to get done...so it was all ok...until I realized I wasn't going to be back in Mariapocs to catch my bus...and that is where the problems started...

I did end up finding another bus that would have me in Heves around 9 so all was well...I was on the bus for a good 4 hours...had another drunk elderly man trying to kiss my knee... and figured out where I needed to get off the bus...After getting off the bus I noticed that I was at a roundabout and tried to look at the schedule to see when my bus to Heves was coming...

Only in Detk, things did not work out how they were supposed to. There was NO bus to Heves listed so I was sitting on the side of the highway, alone at night(pitch black) trying to figure out what I was supposed to do...after calling Briggi, Emily and Jaime and realizing the bus I was supposed to take stopped a mile down another random road far off the roundabout I was stuck in Detk! The only bus left was to Eger, and after calling Hajni, I was on my way to Eger for the night and would have to go to Heves the next day...I am unable to express how it is to be sitting on the side of a Hungarian road with no idea where my bus is and NO one around... the best thing I can suggest to anyone is to never go into Detk, no matter what!
I had to stay in a hotel in Eger overnight because I had no other option but I was just happy that I knew where I was spending the night, rather than on the side of a random road...Things started to get much better by this point in time and the next morning, Briggi who had to register in Eger met up with me and her geography teacher Janos. We eventually made it back to Heves and walked around the town of 11,000 until it was time to go to Szolnok and meet up with Emily!

Dobo Istevan Ter in Eger!

Szolnok at night was great...went to Club Fregatt by the river and met some of Emily's Hungarian friends. For some reason beer kept appearing and it was a really fun night...but Briggi and I had too much cheap beer and needed to take a taxi to Jaime's house in Ujszasz...
Saturday morning was an early start because we woke up around 6am due to construction right outside of the house...I would take my church bells in Mariapocs anyday over construction!

After making our way back to Szolnok on the train we eventually met up with Emily...It was a very cold morning so after layering on the clothing we made our way to the Goulash festival! It was crazy...people everywhere were making large pots of Goulash and the smell was intoxicating!...this is the pot of Goulash we eventually ater our lunch from, IT WAS AMAZING!



After walking around the street and watching some dancing and children dancing to a beer drinking song, we eventually made our way back to the big pot to eat lunch...

Beer and Goulash...is there anything better?

There was a Renaissance festival that was happening at the back of the Goulash festival so we had our own private show of sword fighting



This is Atila, there are no words to describe him...he is with the slave that he bought for 800 forint...around 5 dollars...



After drinking a few rounds...



Rest and relaxation in Ujszasz before returning home on Sunday!

No comments: