Sunday, September 7, 2008

pilgrimage

where should i start?
Briggi and Jaime decided to visit me...which was very nice of them considering how out of the way i live...after learning that they have to travel for like 4 hours early in the morning i felt really bad, but they really wanted to come and see my pilgrimage so it all worked out in the end...
So saturday started fine, with me expecting to catch the bus and meet the girls in Nyiregyhaza when their bus and train arrived around 10 in the morning...but that didnt work out...

After my 30 min, 3 km trek out to the bus stop, the bus did not show up so I had to wait from 8:30 am until 10:23 in the morning at the bus stop while they arrive around 10 am...and what an interesting wait it was...an older man invited me to another festival next weekend, the end of summer for fall...and another very creepy guy, who after knowing i really did not speak much hungarian, wanted to talk to me, although i am pretty sure it was more of asking me to sleep with him...hand actions included...so I just said NEM several times over and ignored him for the whole 40 min bus ride...after making it to Nyiregyhaza, 2 hours after I was supposed to be there...i met up with Briggi and Jaime, chilling in the park

We went into a museum which was featuring picasso, manet and many others...and say so many durers it made my heart stop...There is no way to describe a durer without seeing it...it was really amazing that they had so many of them in one place...after that room there were plates that were designed by Dali...and they are something that will stay in my head for a very long time...I can only say that they are graphic...very graphic...

The town square is amazing...i love neo-classical architecture and many of the buildings were so I just love staying there...although it was much quieter than the day before...this is the fountain that Briggi really wanted to take a picture of...i think it describes itself...


another fountain...modern style i think...


Jaime and me in the town centre...i like this picture of me...


We decided after buying our supplies for the night (beer, wine, and chips) we would have gelato and fanta for lunch...wild cherry is amazing!

The bus ride back was a long and arduous journey...40 mins on a packed bus carrying lots of alcohol and preapring yourself for a 30 min hike into Mariapocs...sounds like entertainment right...anyway, it really was fun and by the time we got into town things were already in full swing and so we decided to put our stuff away and venture out into the world of the pilgrimage...and what a world it is...I will start with a picture of my church...
The Greek Catholic Church or Maria pocs, that houses the weeping mary portrait...


It is really much smaller on the inside than it appears...although it is extremly ornate...It has wept three times since 1696, even though the picture was changed after the first time allowing for it to become a pilgrimage point....one of the most important ones here...we started by looking at the painting...lots of people around but it was still exciting...followed by a long walk down the booths that lined the streets selling a wide variety of things...too much to write down here...this is one of the best though...it is a honey cake rosary...I dont know what to say about it...

After walking down the long path of booths we finally made it to the Jesus cross...where John Paul II held mass for a million back in 1991...I like the cross...i think it is an interesting variation on the usual one...here is Jaime and Briggi with Jesus...doing the Happy Jesus pose...


The next morning we decided to venture out again...and it was even busier...I believe my town population tripled...if not more...IT WAS CRAZY...so many people in such a small place...mass was a big thing today...they even had a fire truck being used as a lift for one of the TV cameras...it was literally insane...

I love my town when it is quiet but I do love when it is like a market...i bought a basket in order for me to do my shopping...I am so excited...i feel hungarian now! but soon Briggi and Jaime had to leave so that they could make it back to their own towns...it was sad but i will see them for the goulash festival next week in Szolnok!...great excitement for me at least...

I did meet up with Andi later on...another one of the teachers at the school, or at least she is in school to become a teacher...she bought me ice cream so that she could practice her English...I have to say I like this trade off...it is much better that paprikas (peppers)...and she also showed me a parkette that I can go to in mariapocs when I want to be out of this bustling city...

I will just post random pictures now...just because they are fun!

This is Nyirbator...I like it there... it is going to have a maedival festival in two weeks which i am going to be going to....exciting stuff!

my house...in the distant background...right in the centre of town...i live beside the bank...the doctors...the dentist...the school...the bank...and a Roman Catholic church and the Greek catholic church...could i be any more central... that is it for now...I hope you have enjoyed it!... I know that I am really looking forward to the goulash!

No comments: