Saturday, October 4, 2008

Finding my place...

Over the past month it has been nice that the teachers are very welcoming and try to help me do anything and everything. I don't know if they see me as a teacher though. It is really starting to drive me crazy! When I asked how I could teach the children about Halloween, she said that kids don't celebrate that here. What is that supposed to mean, I was under the impression that I am supposed to be sharing my customs with them, and one of those is HALLOWEEN!

It was a very long week, the kids behaviour has continued to get worse and we thankfully had the day off school on Wednesday. It sounds silly, but the town water was shut off so school was closed that day and instead, many of the children went into town to the movies. I, on the other hand, not wanting to sit through a movie I would not understand, rode my bike to Nyírbátor (and managaed to change the settings on my keyboard so I can write in Hungarian as well) and went shopping at the Spar. I love Spar and really wish there was one in Máriapócs, but will never be that lucky.

Once again confronted with the issue of the childrens bad behaviour, I suggested that we should put the offending student in the corner as a punishment because this would stop them. I asked how putting them in the corner would really affect them. Szabina admitted that they were told to go outside in the rain, or sit in the corner. Even Márk, who probably had the most experience with being punished said they were told to stand in the corner by themselves. If the whole group was bad, they all had to stand with their arms held high until the teachers told them to sit down.


I really hope that this is my last rant about what I am actually doing...
I am much better now, things have been somewhat sorted out so I will refrain from rants...

No comments: