Sunday, October 19, 2008

the zoo...Nyíregyházi Állatpark

So after spending another weekend at home, not by my own choice, our class was to be put on dusplay for other parents who are wondering whether to enroll their own kids, but it is a long story...I went to the zoo.

I met up with Marci and we took the bus to the zoo, not too far otuside of Nyíregyháza. It was a very nice setting for a zoo and the day was nice so it was a perfect time to go. We went around the whole zoo and saw a lot of different animals...






The polar bear (jegesmedve) look very tired the whole time we saw him, even when we came back two hours later...I guess he has too much time and nothing to do too! Walking through the park, the thing I found quite funny was that the Canada geese (Kanadai Lüc) had their display with the African animals, I could not figure this out, I did not know that we had moved to another continent. We sort of found a reason for this after seeing another display with Canada geese, and determined that they must have two homes, and they fly to Africa for the winter. I can see no other explanation...




The Leopard (Lépárd) was pacing in the cage, just going back and forth. He must be very angry with something or someone...The White Wolf ( feher farkas) was sitting very still just watching something in the distance. The only thing I could see was children, so he must have a very specific appetite, which is good for me. I will have to keep it in mind if Mark continues to behave badly...




I found it quite amusing that people kept tossing food in the cages even though it said the animals will get fat if they do. The giraffe (zsíraf) had no problem reaching out of the cage...




The king of the jungle, the lion (oroszlán) who was quite content to just stare at us the entire time...



I learned that there are two names for the camel, depending on how many humps they have. The one humped camel is the dromedár and the two humped camel is the teve. I also learned that the rhinoceros is named the orroszarvú, which translates as nose horns...A lot of animals had szarvú, so once I learned that it meant horns, I could figure some things out.


The elephants (elefánt) were also out, walking around, though the largest had a chain anklet, not attached to anything.


The ostrich (strucc) was there too, just standing by the gate and repeatedly opening its mouth.


After see the animals, we went to the area that was supposed to represent Australia. This was quite dissappointing because the only that was there was two kangaroo (kenguru) who were in the very far corner of the display. But after seeing all the lions and tigers and bears we went back to the seals (Fóka) and saw Alf, Leon and Gino play around the pool for a while. We soon had to return to Nyíregyháza so I could go home and Marci could go back to school. I am happy that we went to the zoo, I really liked getting to see tha animals, especially in a different setting than home.

No comments: